A recent article in the NYT showed that an eminent professor of organic chemistry was let go because students signed a petition that his class was too hard and they were not getting the grades they needed to get into medical school. Think I am oversimplifying? Maybe, but read the article for yourself. If you cannot access it with the link, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org for a copy of the article.
Mission of the American Association of University Professors (AAUP):
- advance academic freedom;
- promote shared governance;
- define fundamental professional values and standards for higher education;
- promote the economic security of faculty, academic professionals, graduate students, post‐doctoral fellows, and all those engaged in teaching and research in higher education;
- help the higher education community organize to make our goals a reality;
- ensure higher education's contribution to the common good.